Group Purchasing and your Wedding
Call it a sign of the times; in the past few months lots of group purchasing websites like Groupon CityDeal, LivingSocial and Pigsback.com’s Megadeal have launched in Ireland offering everything from eyelash tinting to paint-balling. I’ve even had my car valeted on the cheap thanks to one of them. The question is, are they any good and how can they benefit brides-t0-be?
The deal is simple. In order for the website to promote the service exclusively as deal of the day, the service provider must slash the price by half or more and they will be featured on the site for a day (or in some cases, longer). There’s a minimum amount of sales required for the deal to go ahead, and sometimes they cap the amount of vouchers they will sell. Punters can go on the site and purchase vouchers electronically, and they are emailed out when the deal is completed.
- Beauty Treatments such as Manicures
- Home Teeth Whitening Kits
- Activities, Overnight Getaways, Food & Drink Vouchers (Hen/Stag Parties)
- Yoga/Bootcamp Classes (Getting in shape)
- Photo packages (engagement session)
- Sign up for email alerts and keep an eye on them. Most of the offers change daily and some are not repeated.
- Check the use-by date before you buy. Some coupons are valid for 3 months, others for 6. If it’s gonna expire before your wedding date, don’t buy.
- Research the supplier online before making a purchase. If you don’t like what you see, forget about it. Beaut.ie’s recent post on the topic is full of comments giving feedback on some of the services.
- You can buy multiple vouchers as ‘gifts’. This could be a great way of getting your bridesmaids’ nails done for the big day for half the price. It’s a good idea to ring the salon directly before you buy and make sure they’re ok with a group booking of voucher users.
- Take the location of the deal into consideration. There’s no point in dragging your bridesmaids halfway across the country the day before the wedding for a facial if the travel is going to stress you all out. Buy local!
Here are links to just a few of the websites I’ve discovered:
Have any of you got any great bargains? Tell us all about them below.